Tuesday, September 1, 2009

JOLXG Regular Season Champ, Mike Turpin!


Mike Turpin almost single-handedly dominated the regular season of the John Olerud League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. His shrewd moves and overall baseball knowledge placed himself atop a league sporting quite the baseball IQ's. I got ahold of Mike earlier this week and asked him some questions regarding his stellar record.
Rich: What did you do to dominate the regular season?
Mike: Without giving to many trade secrets away to "a rival", so to speak, I would say I started with a strong keeper base I'd cultivated over a couple of years. Having drafted Braun, Lincecum, and Kershaw as prospects, and having traded for Gallardo with that that status, keeps their value low and allows me to secure big talent with late round picks. That enables me to draft more big talent early on. This year, with the aforementioned trio and Joba Chamberlain, I concentrated on picking up big hitters, and took advantage of Miquel Cabrera's third base eligibility to slide him over and fill 1B/UTIL with Berkman and Gonzalez. That's likely 90 homers in the first three rounds.
From there it was all about trades. When a struggling Jimmy Rollins hit the block, I was able to get him cheap for Rich Harden. This helped bc I was playing an equally bad JJ Hardy at the time. I also picked up Nick Markakis at what I believe was low value, in exchange for Jered Weaver. Also, I was able to leverage players who for one reason or another would not likely be kept by me into better one-season plays. And of course, there is always a lot of luck involved.
Rich: Who would you say is the MVP of your team?
Mike: Over the course of an entire season, in a head-to-head league, you will get more value out of consistent everyday players, so i will eliminate pitchers. In this case, my MVP was Miquel Cabrera. He was consistent as a hitter, which is why you draft him in the first place, but his 3B eligibility cemented that. 3B was deceptively shallow, and I think he provided excellent value there. Ryan Braun warrants mentioning, and I think I got a lot of early-season value from Adrian Gonzalez's torrid start.
Rich: On a scale of importance in your life, where does the JOLXG rate?
Mike: I spend a lot of nights watching games with StatTracker up, and more still doing baseball related reading online and on paper. So, I'd say it occupies a position of great importance. The fact that many of my best friends are leaguemates makes me determined to give it a good shot year in and year out.
Rich: Do you see a team in the playoffs your wary of?
Mike: I am wary of Scott's team., since he beat me and tied me in the regular season. So, I'm rooting for you to make it out of the first round and give me a good challenge. I also hope Minger ends up in the finals., bc 19-5 over two regular season matchups isn't enough of a beating for me. Remember in "Goodfellas" when Billy Batts keeps giving Tommy shit about the shoe shines, and Tommy acts tough because he's not the shine boy anymore now that he's a big gangster? He'll always be the shine boy to Billy Batts. And Minger will always be my shine boy in the JOLXG. Now, unlike Billy, I am not going to get beaten to death should I reach the finals.
Rich: Does a JOLXG championship compare in anyway to the joy of the impending birth of your daughter?
Mike: It can't compare. The JOLXG crown would be the third-most importantachievement in my life, right behind the wife and daughter. It completes the Manhood Triple Crown. And you can't get much higher than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment